Makweti Safari Lodge Stokbrood (Bread on Stick)
When it comes to dining al fresco under Africa’s star-scattered skies, there’s little that can compare with the simple enjoyment of fresh bread baked over an open fire – the aroma of homemade dough mingled with the crisp outdoors.
At Makweti, we pair this uncomplicated, hearty treat with a mug of lightly-curried, smooth butternut soup, complemented by the sophistication of a classic cognac.
Preparing the dough:
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients into a moist dough. No need to knead!
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size – this takes about 1 hour.
- With floured hands, briefly ‘knock back’ the dough by making it into a ball.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and divide it into 8 pieces.
Shaping your bread-sticks:
- Start by stretching each dough ball into a strip and then roll it into a long sausage shape.
- Twist a strip around the end of your sticks. Pinch the dough together to secure the end, if necessary.
Cooking over a campfire:
- Either hold or prop your stick up over the fire.
- Choose a spot over hot embers for best results.
- Keep rotating until all sides are browned.
Enjoy your freshly baked bread!