MAKWETI SPINACH AND FETA QUICHE
As we are now well into a new year, and people all over the world are aspiring to eat healthier food, here at Makweti we continue to experiment with vegetarian dishes that make the mouth water. One such dish is our spinach and feta quiche – offering all the goodness of eggs and spinach and fragrant crushed garlic, with all the flavour of five-star cuisine – give it a try at home and let us know how it turned out!
- Pie Crust pre-made refrigerated roll and bake (see recipe below)
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 small Onion white diced
- 2 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 2 cups Blanched Spinach coarsely chopped
- 6 large Eggs
- 1 cup Feta Cheese
- 2 cup White Cheddar Cheese (can substitute mozzarella or gouda)
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- ¾ cup All-purpose Flour
- 6 tablespoons Cold Butter, cubed into small pieces
- ¼ cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 5 teaspoons Cold Water
- Place flour in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle chopped butter into the bowl, and rub the butter into the flour, until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the grated cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle water over the mixture one teaspoon at a time, stirring lightly with a fork. Add just enough water for the dough to form a ball.
- It must come away from the side of the bowl easily.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out, and place in the 23 cm quiche pan.
- Use a fork to prick holes in the bottom.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes before filling with quiche custard.
- Take your pre-made pie crust out of the refrigerator about an hour before you make your quiche. You want the crust to be room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees centigrade.
- ln a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the butter and onion. Sauté over medium-high heat until the onion is lightly golden brown – this takes about 6 minutes. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook until the garlic is transparent, or about 4 minutes more. Add the spinach and mix for another 2-3 minutes.
- ln a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, feta cheese, white cheddar, milk, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined, and then stir in the cooled onion mixture.
- Roll out the pie crust on a lightly floured surface. Using the rolling pin, transfer the pie crust to a 9″ pie dish, pinching the edges to make a decorative crust. Pour the spinach and feta egg mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake the quiche in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 50-60 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set in the middle. You can test this by gently shaking the pan just a little to see if the middle of the quiche is still runny.
- If you still aren’t sure, insert a toothpick or knife into the centre and it should come out clean.
- Once baked, remove the quiche from the oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe: Chef John Makgoba
Photo credit Ross Wilson